Monday, April 4, 2011

Introducing Garrett Tyler ...


Well, as I posted previously, I was up at 4 am on Garrett's birthday. I was scheduled to go in at 8 am to get induced and I was too anxious / excited / nervous / antsy to sleep. I couldn't wait!  But at 7:30 I received a phone call from the hospital saying that they were going to have to delay my appointment. There had been an influx of women who had arrived at the hospital. Labor & Delivery was hopping that morning and they didn't have room for me. Apparently women already in labor have first priority over scheduled inductions ... Whatever! ;)
 

I was crushed. They couldn't give me a time estimate but assured me it would be sometime that day. I wasn't so sure. I was worried it was going to be a really long day with no baby at the end of it. My mom came and got the boys as planned then Jeff and I sat and waited. It was a miserable wait. I didn't want to leave because I didn't want to miss the call. I couldn't nap or rest because I was so antsy. Jeff didn't go to work but kept wondering if he should. We tried to relax and watch tv but I couldn't pay attention. Finally they called back at 9:45 and said we could come at 10:30. We were out the door in a flash!  

When we arrived they were still busy but at least we had a room. I started the admittance process, got hooked up to all the machines and my IV and then had to wait some more. That was a bit of a bummer to be at the hospital, all ready to go but not actually in labor. It wasn't until 12:15 that the doctor came in to break my water. Then he wanted to wait another 30-45 minutes to see if things would progress on their own. I was happy to find out that I was already dilated to a 4 and contractions did actually start on their own. They weren't really strong enough or consistent enough so around 1 pm they started me on pitocin. The contractions gradually started picking up intensity and over the next 2 hours they upped my pitocin a couple of times to get them nice and strong. Pretty soon I was ready for that epidural!  Come to find out the reason I was in so much pain was that I was an 8 and Garrett was about ready to come out! Within 30 minutes it was time to start pushing and 20 minutes after that I met my little boy!  

I have to admit that I was a little taken aback by his size. He felt so huge while he was inside of me. I really was expecting another 10 pounder!  The doctor held him up for me to see and I immediately thought "he looks little". I figured that my memory was deceiving me but sure enough he weighed in at 9 pounds even. My little runt! :)

We stayed at the hospital for 2 days and came home Wednesday around noon.  We're still adjusting to the routine of life with a new baby, but we're doing well!  It's so good to be home as a family!  The big boys absolutely love their new brother.  They want to hold him, help me burp him, and pat his head.  They've been so sweet!  I feel so blessed by my precious family of five!
40 Weeks
One last picture before heading to the hospital
Me with the soon to be "Big Bros"
I was so impressed with how well they understood everything!  They knew it was Garrett's birthday.  When Cooper came up to the hospital to see me later he immediately said, "Baby Garrett isn't in your tummy anymore"  To which Hudson asked why my tummy wasn't any smaller - haha! Thanks, bud :)
Together at last!


The boys brought me balloons when they came to see me! :)
Hudson was a little uncertain about holding Garrett for the first time.  He wanted to make sure that I was going to help him.  Then when it was Cooper's turn, Hudson wanted to make sure that I was going to help Cooper also.  So sweet - already protective of his baby brother! :)







Garrett didn't love getting dressed to go home
He was much happier once he was back in Mommy's arms with a paci!
Time to go home


2 comments:

  1. love those pics!!! Cant wait to meet him in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so precious!! So happy for your sweet family... what a blessing!! :)

    ReplyDelete